I have Syndactyly. What are the chances that it will be passed on to my child. Is it possible that the child can have genetic disorder diseases other than Syndactyly.

Doctor Answers (1) on Syndactyly

Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
Hello,Webbing of the digits, or syndactyly, is not caused by the fingers sticking together in the womb; rather, it is caused by failure, during the sixth to eighth weeks of intrauterine life, of the usual longitudinal interdigital necrosis that normally separates the fingers. This “webbing” is the most common abnormality of the newborn hand. It happens either as an isolated anomaly or as part of a syndrome. When it occurs alone it is always inherited as an autosomal-dominant disorder. Genetic predilection may be difficult, since the dominant genes show reduced penetrance and variable expressivities. *Each future child carries a 50% chance of having the anomaly*, but occurrence is rarely consistent from one generation to the next. A child's hand may well be different than a parent's hand, or neither parent may have a syndactyly.* It does appear that paternal genes have a stronger influence than their maternal counterparts .*