Sonosalpinogram

Hello doctor, I am 27 years old ttc for past 1 and half years, all the basic fertility tests are done with normal results, folicular study was also done on last month and my gynec told that I have very good folicular phase and ovulation however I got my periods on 27.08.16, so dr sugested for ssg (sonosalpinogram) and the same was done on 02.09.16. Googled and found many ladies got conceived after ssg/hsg on the same cycle or within the next 3 cycles also I found most of them miscarried... Dr please tell me is that conception on the same cycle of ssg results in miscarriage? Is that iodine dye injected is harmful to the embryo? Is it adviceable trying for baby on the same cycle? Please doctors I want your valuable suggestions...

Doctor Answers (3) on Sonosalpinogram

Dr. Shikha Shah Mumbai | Gynecologist
Nothing will happen to your baby if u concieve in this cycle.
Dr. Gajendra Singh Tomar Indore | General Physician
Although there are no studies regarding pregnancy outcome in an HSG/SSG cycle, it is logical that these procedures are usually performed before ovulation happens and therefore should not harm the embryo or pregnancy. If one becomes pregnant in that particular cycle, risks do not increase. Please refer to www.onlinefertilityspecialist.com for further queries.
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for your query regarding sonosalpingogram and it's relation to embryo toxicity.

The evidence regarding the effect of the radio-colloid dye on the developing baby is theorotical at best. The conception in the same cycle doesn't lead to miscarriage,on the contrary some of the oil-based colloid dyes (lipidiol)  enhance chances of fertility in unexplained subfertility. Rest assured the reports you have read online are only anecdotal.

The only thing that gynaecologists ensure is that you are not pregnant at the time the tests are done. So I guess the timing of your test was perfect. Also ensure that your husband's Semen analysis is normal before proceeding for any further testing.

At 27 years, if your cycles and tests are normal, start on folic acid supplements and try normally. The chance of conception within first year is 85 percent and 95 percent at the end of the second year. Per cycle every women has a 15-20 percent chance of conception.

Do let me know if there are any further queries.

Best Regards,
Aditi