Skin turns red

Hey, I have this weird skin problem. Whenever I rub/ scratch (even lightly) on neck/ stomach/ back, the skin at that specific spot turns red and it burns slightly. I have no allergy as such. Please help me.

Dr. Rajdeep

This is a normal response of the body. When you rub or scratch a particular area the nerves stimulated cause the blood vessels in the area to expand assuming that the area is injured. This also causes a certain type of cells called mast cells to release a chemical called histamine that causes mild itching or burning sensation. You can read about triple response of Lewis online if you are interested. It is nothing to worry about. If the triple response is too much (causing too much itching or lasting more than half an hour) it is called dermographism and may need treatment with medicines that block the chemical histamine (called as antihistamines). Hope this answers your query. Warm regards. Dr. Rajdeep Mysore. Chirag Hospital Bangalore