Skin problem

My son has got some sort of skin problem since his birth. Earlier the pediatrician has diagonised it as dermatitis and said that the problem will eradicated as soon as my son gets one year old. He said that it is common and is often seen in new born. Now I have consult a dermatologist who after carefully examining the skin said that the problem which is there with my son is named as ichiyosis vulgaris and said the condition will remain for a lifetime and we can only suppress the condition and cannot do much about it. I want some clarification regarding the duration of the condition that my son is in and how long will he be effected by it.

Doctor Answers (1) on Skin problem

Dr. Sanchit Talwar Chandigarh | Dermatologist
Hi.I would want to have a look at the picture of your son to come to a diagnosis but if your Dermatologist has diagnosed the condition as Ichthyosis Vulgaris,then it needs to be controlled.It is not a life threatening condition but maintaining moisture in the skin is of utmost importance.This condition does persist for a lifetime but can be easily kept under check by using emollients and other supportive therapy. Regards, Dr.Sanchit Talwar, MD (Skin & VD), Consultant Dermatologist, Dr Talwar's Skin, Laser and Cosmetic Clinic CHANDIGARH.