Sickle cell

Hi..below are the results of a HB variant test conducted..HbA is 59.3% HbA2 is 2.9% HbS is 38.8% Could you please let me know if this is only sickle cell trait or there are chances of thalassemia.Frequent episodes of pain,hand color discoloration and breathlessness have been noticed.

Doctor Answers (1) on Sickle cell

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello... I understand your problem, I think you should know that sickle cell disease and sickle cell trait have a difference in genetics.... In sickle cell trait only small percent of Hbs will be there, so chances of any serious complications are rare but in sickle cell disease patient might complain of recurrent painful attacks, arthritis, sometimes stroke etc.......If you are planning to concieve Its important, if both parents have sickle cell trait, since chances of sickle cell disease causing genetic abnormality being transferred to their childrens is more..... So kindly consult a nearest physician for further queries...