Shortness of breath

Dear Team, Greetings, This question is for myself, recently my father passed away due to TB, during his treatment i was completely with him and suspect i may have the infection now. have seen a asthma clinic and as per the chest x ray it was negative. But i can see that i am losing weight i am concerned pls help.

Doctor Answers (1) on Shortness of breath

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi, you should undergo sputum test for afb. A sputum stain for Mycobacteria is a laboratory test performed on a sample of your sputum, or phlegm. It’s also known as an acid-fast bacillus (AFB) stain or a tuberculosis (TB) smear.. If your test results are normal, or negative, this means no mycobacterial organisms were found. If the test is abnormal, it means the stain is positive for one of the following organisms: M. tuberculosis, M. leprae, nontuberculous bacteria, other acid-fast bacteria...