Protien S deficiency
I am 27 years .I had a miscarriage on the 16th week of gestation this January. The reason is yet not known because we could not get the fetus to test. After many tests we have found that the shape of the uterus is normal and all my tests are fine except for one which is Protein S Activity. I have a deficiency of the same. Now I am planning to conceive again. One doctor has advised that I need to be on LMWH injection and low dose aspirin from 6th to 36th week. Whereas another doctor has said that theres no need of any such medicines. Only they will put a sticth at the mouth of the uterus. Please suggest the actual treatment.

Dr. Himani Gupta
Gynecologist 12 yrs exp Navi Mumbai

Hi, protein S deficiency does not present as second trimester abortion. However it may lead to pregnancy related complications in other forms. Second trimester loss of pregnancy may be because of some specific reasons. LMWH, Cervical cerclage or any other treatment, only your treating doctor should decide. First thing is to achieve next pregnancy. I advise you to have frank discussion with your Gynaecologist and start treatment