Doctor Answers (2) on Pregnancy planning
Thank you for your query regarding Oral hypoglycemic medication and desire for fertility. The only OHA which are safe in periconceptional period of pregnancy are Glybuteride and metformin.
Considering that your blood sugar level is very high at the outset it would be wisest to
1. Do a prepregnancy consult with Diabetologist and switch to insulin.
2. Start with pre-conceptional folic acid 5 gm per day.
3. Start trying when FBS: 80 - 90 mg/dl, PPBS: around 90-110 mg/dl. HbA1c less than 6 gm percent atleast.
4. Diet and lifestyle change and weight loss if obese.
All these measures will improve
- Chance of conception, reduce fertility rates and miscarriage.
- Reduce risk of congenital malformations.
- Reduce risk of obstetric complications.
- Reduce the risk of infections and preganancy sugar fluctuations.
- Improve maternal and fetal outcome.
Best option would be a preconceptional counselling by a local Gynaecologist.
Dr. Aditi Kishore Shinde