My age 26 years...i am diabetic fasting-184 pp- 190 and taking drug JALARA-M 1000/50MG twice a day. if i plan for pregnancy is it necessary to stop this medicine???? or it should be continued till pregnancy conformation????? is there any side effect of this medicine???? I dont take any other medicine......plz reply asap......
Like the answers? Chat privately for 24 hours with the doctor of your choice
Hello....... Insulin the traditional first-choice drug for blood glucose control during pregnancy, because it is the most effective for fine-tuning blood glucose and it doesn't cross the placenta. Therefore, it is safe for the baby....consult general physician in nearest hospital..
Thank you for your query regarding Oral hypoglycemic medication and desire for fertility. The only OHA which are safe in periconceptional period of pregnancy are Glybuteride and metformin.
Considering that your blood sugar level is very high at the outset it would be wisest to
1. Do a prepregnancy consult with Diabetologist and switch to insulin.
2. Start with pre-conceptional folic acid 5 gm per day.
3. Start trying when FBS: 80 - 90 mg/dl, PPBS: around 90-110 mg/dl. HbA1c less than 6 gm percent atleast.
4. Diet and lifestyle change and weight loss if obese.
All these measures will improve
- Chance of conception, reduce fertility rates and miscarriage.
- Reduce risk of congenital malformations.
- Reduce risk of obstetric complications.
- Reduce the risk of infections and preganancy sugar fluctuations.
- Improve maternal and fetal outcome.
Best option would be a preconceptional counselling by a local Gynaecologist.
Dr. Aditi Kishore Shinde