Pregnancy & LIFECELL Cord
Doctor Answers (1) on Pregnancy & LIFECELL Cord
I thank you for your query regarding Cord Blood Cell Banking. Cord blood cell banking is a novel concept entailing preservation of precursor fetal cells present the cord blood during birth as a possibility of use of these cells for treatment of baby or Hla matched donor in the future.
1. This concept helps creation of a stem cell bio bank which may provide answers to genetic and metabolic disorders as well as certain cancers for research and clinical application.
2. Sense of assurance regarding health and well being of baby in case these rare conditions occur in future.
3. In women with definitive family history of genetic disorders, blood cancers and hereditary anemia or these conditions detected during the antenatal period, a clinical application of the child's own banked cells would be possible, thus reducing long term costs of treatment and difficulty finding suitable donors.
1. Expense and added cost to delivery in private cord blood banks.
2. In a women with no family history of genetic disorders the probability of the child requiring these cells would be small.
3. The clinical application to such technology is currently undergoing research, hence would not be first line treatment modality for a few years.
4. In countries where public cord blood banking is a part of Govt protocol and translational research is carried out the cost born by each women is negligable and utility would be to a wider population rather than an individual.
Hence, I would encourage you to make an informed choice in this regard, considering your financial capacity.