Posterior Cervical Lymph

Hi Doctors, I can feel a mild lump (almost 1cm) below my skull, behind my neck on the right side. I guess this is Posterior Cervical Lymph node that is popped out. It cannot be seen or felt when the neck is in the normal position. But, when I move my head completely towards the left side, I can see and feel this small lump. When I checked with a primary care physician, he said that it is coz of Shaving with a razor, Heat boils. But it is there from past 3 months. What could be the reason for this? I'm also having mild cold from quite some time, but I do NOT have any fever or cough. Please advise if this is something serious.

Doctor Answers (1) on Posterior Cervical Lymph

Sagar KS Bangalore | General Practitioner
Hi, it looks like sebaceous cyst or epidermoid cysts. cysts are noncancerous small bumps beneath the skin. They can appear anywhere on the skin, but are most common on the face, neck and trunk.Slow growing and often painless, epidermoid cysts rarely cause problems or need treatment. But you may choose to have a cyst removed by a doctor if its appearance bothers you or if it's painful, ruptured or infected. They arise from the glands that secrete oily matter that lubricates hair and skin (sebaceous glands),when these glands are blocked formation of cyst takes place. Epidermoid cyst signs and symptoms include:A small, round bump under the skin, usually on the face, trunk or neck,A tiny blackhead plugging the central opening of the cyst,A thick, yellow, foul-smelling material that sometimes drains from the cyst.Redness, swelling and tenderness in the area, if inflamed or needs complete evaluation we have to detect whether it is really a cyst or some other swellings like enlargement of lymph node, Lipoma( usually multiple).FNAC is a diagnostic procedure to find out reason for swellings. consult general surgeon for furthur care and evaluation.