Pls suggest epidural
Hello My wife is pregnant I would like to ask how safe is epidural in labour pain.... Can we go for it Kindly suggest

Dr. Veena Vidyasagar
Gynecologist 35 yrs exp Bangalore

Dear Practo user, Epidural is mostly safe during labor pains. Chances of problems are very less. You can go for it.
Dr. Aditi Kishore Shinde
Gynecologist 10 yrs exp Kolkata
Dear Sir, Epidural analgesia is a cornerstone of modern Obstetrics,  reducing the amount of sensory pain input and preserving motor function required for normal delivery. Advantages: 1. Effective analgesia. 2. Excellent safety profile. 3. Reduces the rate of Caesarian on maternal request ( CMR)  due to fear of pain. 4. No requirement for additional pain relief if operative vaginal delivery or intervention is required. Disadvantages: 1. May prolong labour. 2. May increase the rate of ventouse/forceps delivery by minimal amount. 3. Operator dependent. Requires trained personal for insertion of Epidural catheter and monitoring of baby during labour. Please discuss the availability and feasibility of Epidural delivery with your primary treating Obstetrician to facilitate,  timely Epidural insertion during delivery. Do let me know if there are any further queries. Regards, Aditi

Epidural steroid injection Caudal epidural injection