chest-icon

Peural thickning of apci

My father is 64 years old  herecently got an xray done and I was diagnosed with apical peural thickning. What does it mean. Also I would like to know if getting a ct lung scan is required for the same . I have heard its not safe and has certain risks

Dr. Hari Om Gupta
Thoracic (Chest) Surgeon 11 yrs exp Lucknow
pleural thickening may have various causes (mild parynchymal lung disease, chronic empyema , tuberculosis, malignancy etc .) pt may be asymptomatic or may have severe respiratory distress. so please tell me the chief complaints of your father, a brief history of the sickness. In case of pleural thickening, work up is necessary. so please do a contrast enhance CT thorex, pulmonary function test & general blood investigations. CT scan is a safe investigation,  it have no such risk that u had mentioned in ur question. After that u can consult a good thoracic surgeon/ physician for particular advice. u may send the investigations report to me also.