chest-icon

Peural thickning of apci

My father is 64 years old  herecently got an xray done and I was diagnosed with apical peural thickning. What does it mean. Also I would like to know if getting a ct lung scan is required for the same . I have heard its not safe and has certain risks

Doctor Answers (1) on Peural thickning of apci

Dr. Hari Om Gupta Lucknow | Thoracic (Chest) Surgeon
pleural thickening may have various causes (mild parynchymal lung disease, chronic empyema , tuberculosis, malignancy etc .) pt may be asymptomatic or may have severe respiratory distress. so please tell me the chief complaints of your father, a brief history of the sickness. In case of pleural thickening, work up is necessary. so please do a contrast enhance CT thorex, pulmonary function test & general blood investigations. CT scan is a safe investigation,  it have no such risk that u had mentioned in ur question. After that u can consult a good thoracic surgeon/ physician for particular advice. u may send the investigations report to me also.