Persistent cold
It's been a while since I got the cold and it just doesn't go. I have been to a doctor, but the meds have a temporary effect. Sometimes when I try to blow my nose, my ear aches. Any comments?

Dr. Vinay S Bhat
ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist 7 yrs exp Bangalore

If your cold is persisting or more than a month and if its associated with sneezing, nose blocks, watering from nose and itching then its likely to be seasonal allergy. You need to take antihistamine tablets for few weeks till your symptoms come under control. Consult nearby ENT specialist for further evaluation and treatment
Dr. Harisha N L

No vaccine has been developed for the common cold, which can be caused by many different viruses. But you can take some common-sense precautions to slow the spread of cold viruses: Wash your hands. Clean your hands thoroughly and often, and teach your children the importance of hand-washing. Scrub your stuff. Keep kitchen and bathroom countertops clean, especially when someone in your family has a common cold. Wash children's toys periodically. Use tissues. Always sneeze and cough into tissues. Discard used tissues right away, and then wash your hands carefully. Teach children to sneeze or cough into the bend of their elbow when they don't have a tissue. That way they cover their mouths without using their hands. Don't share. Don't share drinking glasses or utensils with other family members. Use your own glass or disposable cups when you or someone else is sick. Label the cup or glass with the name of the person with the cold. Steer clear of colds. Avoid close, prolonged contact with anyone who has a cold. Choose your child care center wisely...