Osteoporosis

What are the side effects of teriparatide injection? Will it reverse osteoporosis completely? Thank you in advance.

Doctor Answers (1) on Osteoporosis

Dr. Neeraj R Bijlani Mumbai | Orthopedic Surgeon
Osteoporosis is an aging process and it cannot be completely reversed but certainly can be controlled so fragility of bones does not increase
if you are already taking teriparatide then
The pack which you must have received shows all the side effects but the practical side effects which I have seen in my practice are two
1. sometimes it may cause increase in parathyroid hormone and that needs to be monitored every six months
2. sometimes patients gets palpitations so an ecg is advised to check on heart

otherwise it is one of the safest drugs and most effective drugs for the controlled treatment of osteoporosis

The research as it is relatively new shows that it can be taken a maximum of only two years so it is suggested to discontinue after two years

most important thing to remember is always calcium and Vitamin d has to be taken with teriparatide and after two years continue with calcium and Vitamin d only

All of the above are guidelines and not prescriptions so
please consult an orthopaedic surgeon before taking any medicines