Obssesive compulsive diso

Hi, my wife(38) is effected with o.c.d symptoms, she whashes hands atleast every time she touches anything I.e door knobs, Amirah, school bags etc. She also does lots of cleaning but limited to the places which will be touched or used by kids or herself, she doesn't let anybody go out of house I.e cinemas, malls or markets because she fear's that kids or she might will get affected with diseases. If husband(me) goes to anywhere out of our floor even to 1st floor of same house (my parents stay there) she would ask me to change the clothes before coming close to herself,kids any sofas or bed. So practically once out of home one needs to change clothes and wash feets, face and hands with soap to even touch or sit on the sofa, she is totally reluctant to meet any psychiatrist or phycologist. Once I convinced her to meet Dr. Aruna broota and she met her, Dr broota after meeting and understanding her problem referred her to a qualified psychiatrist which she didn't met ever ... Pls advise

Doctor Answers (2) on Obssesive compulsive diso

Dr. Kavita Sagarkar Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hi, from your description your wife definitely suffers from OCD. She is reluctant to go to a Psychiatrist as she probably thinks people will label her mad or that she will have to take medication which will harm her. To make her understand that she needs professional help she needs to perceive her problem and the effect it has on the people around her in a different way. Please explain to her that her current behaviours are being observed by her kids and it can have a negative impact on them. She is spending so much time and effort in cleaning things that she is not able to enjoy with her kids and husband. Explain to her that by meeting a Psychiatrist and following the doctor's advice she can become so much better. She can start enjoying things and spend quality time with her family. Also explain to her that she is not alone in her problems, there are many people who suffer from OCD but the willingness to accept it and do something about it is the first step. Once you manage to take her to a Psychiatrist, he/she can take over from there and educate her better. Hope this helps, All the Best!
Dr. Antara Gupta Aligarh | Neuropsychiatrist
There are steps you can follow to make her aware of her illness.
1.ask her has there been a change in her over the yrs
2.if yes then what
3.does she think this change is normal?
4.if no then does she want to get back to normal state?If yes then point to a behaviour she does and ask what does she feel abt it.
4.tell her that there is nothing wrong in taking someone's help or some professional help
5.everyone needs help in some or the other way
6.most importantly taking psychiatric help doesn't make her mental patient or mad.
  Even then if she doesn't agree to take treatment then she can be taken to a psychiatrist not as a patient but as Patient's  (your) wife . You vist him for some headache etc and make her visit him when you go there...  
If you wish you can visit my centre.