cancer-icon

Mycosis fungoids

My sister has been diagnosed with mycosis fungoids recently.is this disease curable or fatal. Please tell what is the survival rate of the same and if curable who will treat it, a dermatologist or an oncologist

Hello there....., Mycosis fungoides is the most common form of a type of blood cancer called cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Cutaneous T-cell lymphomas occur when certain white blood cells, called T cells, become cancerous; these cancers characteristically affect the skin, causing different types of skin lesions.... Mycosis fungoides is rarely cured. Instead, most treatments are aimed at controlling the symptoms, improving the quality of life, and preventing the disease from progressing into later stages....
Harisha N L

Hello I understand your concern and feeling towards your sisters health condition...Mortality and prognosis are related to the disease stage at diagnosis, as well as to the type and extent of skin lesions and the whether or not extracutaneous disease is present...Symptomatic treatments, emollients, or antipruritics, plus specific topical and systemic treatment, are used to manage mycosis fungoides. Generally, topical therapies are indicated for stage I patients, and systemic therapies or combinations of topical and systemic therapies are indicated for patients with stage IIB disease or greater or for patients with refractory stage I disease...Consult nearest oncologist they will do the needful.