My chances of diabetes

A week before I had a blood sugar test which came normal,but my mother had diabetes since she was 26yrs...and not only she but also her 3 sisters and 2 brothers have a diabetes... That means my mother side,mostly are diabetic so I want to ask being her daughter,what are the chances of having diabetes in my future life?

Doctor Answers (1) on My chances of diabetes

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Type 2 diabetes is life style disease...if you fallow healthy lifestyle measures there will be very limited chance of getting it
Healthy lifestyle choices can help you prevent type 2 diabetes. Even if you have diabetes in your family, diet and exercise can help you prevent the disease. If you've already received a diagnosis of diabetes, you can use healthy lifestyle choices to help prevent complications. And if you have prediabetes, lifestyle changes can slow or halt the progression from prediabetes to diabetes.
Eat healthy foods. Choose foods lower in fat and calories and higher in fiber. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
Get physical. Aim for 30 minutes of moderate physical activity a day. Take a brisk daily walk. Ride a bike. Swim laps. If you can't fit in a long workout, spread 10-minute or longer sessions throughout the day.
Lose excess pounds. If you're overweight, losing 7 percent of your body weight can reduce the risk of diabetes. To keep your weight in a healthy range, focus on permanent changes to your eating and exercise habits. Motivate yourself by remembering the benefits of losing weight, such as a healthier heart, more energy and improved self-esteem.
Regards