Mouth breathing

I had DNS done a couple of years back and have an allergy to dust which blocks my nose quite frequently. Due to this I breathe through my mouth in the night. I am following up on the allergy issue. What I want to ask is : is it harmful if we breathe through the mouth during the night. If yes then how severe?

Doctor Answers (1) on Mouth breathing

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil Bangalore | ENT/ Otorhinolaryngologist
Involuntary mouth breathing tells the ENT Surgeon that the Deviated Nasal Septum is significant. You need to undergo Endoscopic Nasal Surgery. Mouth does not have any dust filters that are found in your nose... So germs can easily invade throat & lungs! I do a newer technique of nasal surgery that does not involve packing the nose with cotton gauze & bandages so you breathe through your nostrils immediately after surgery. It is much more comfortable and reduces all the postop complications that are commonly seen in conventional nasal surgeries, it requires more followup care for upto 10 days postoperatively but stay in hospital is reduced to only a few hours instead of the mandatory 3 days. So, if you are ready to spend about 10 days to be in Bangalore, drop into my clinic for a consult.