Medicine to stop feeding.

Hi i have 7 months baby.due to my higher studies iam going to USA leaving my baby with my parents.we are feeding him lactogen and other cereals also.he is enjoying and growth is also very well.still my breasts are lactating.I have to stop breast milk production.please prescribe a safest medicine to stop milk production

Doctor Answers (1) on Medicine to stop feeding.

Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
Hello, I went through your query, as soon as you stop breast feeding, prolactin hormone responsible for milk production decreases in blood, and your milk production starts coming down,, it may be uncomfortable for few days, in that period you may see breast engorgement applying cold compresses and NSAIDS (pain killers) will give you relief, expressing breast milk by hand even though gives relief but it will not stop milk production. Some clinicians believe that applying raw cabbage to the breasts helps ease discomfort and reduce milk production. (First get the cabbage leaves nice and cold in the refrigerator or freezer.)  It's safe and worth a try.