Medical abortion

Hi I have taken misoprostol yesterday, tomorrow I need to take mefiprostine 4 tablets . I also had medical abortion in September 2015, it's second time, since it was unbearable pain in last time, again I don't want to suffer like the same, so please suggest me can I take painkillers before I take abortion pills?

Doctor Answers (2) on Medical abortion

Dr. Parag Patil Thane | Obstetrician
I hope and pray that you have taken the abortion tablets from a qualified gynecoligist. If yes, then surely he or she must have counseled you about the pain and bleeding part. When ANY abortion is done the patient does experience pain as it is the process of abortion which causes the uterus to have spasmodic contractions to expell the fetus, placenta etc... In Medical abortion many a times the abortion process takes about 15 days. And the patient is usualy guided to do a ultrasound scan at 15 days of taking pills to check for completion of abortion. Many patients dont complete this process and it may retain some products of conception, hampering future pregnancy chances. Pain killers interfere with uterine spasm and may cause difficulty. If you want to avoid pain you can go through the abortion under short anesthesia....its a half day procedure. If you had a abortion in sept 2015 and are doing one now....i hope you give serious thought to contraception like pills ( not iPill ) Avoiding pregnancy when its not required is best, rather than throw caution to wind and get pregnant and then do abortion. Repeated abortions damage the uterus and has a lasting effect on health of the aborter.
Venkat Raghav Bangalore | General Physician
Hello....you have taken misoprostol it's a prostaglandin... Pain killers interfere with the prostaglandin action ... Moreover the pain you suffer is from spasmodic contraction of uterus which is required for the expulsion of product ... So don't take any other tablets without prescription .. Thats you should use protective barriers during sexual intercourse. .