diabetes-icon

Measures to prevent sugar

Sir, My father has diabetes. I had a hemoglobin A1c test 2 months ago and score was 5.5. How can I keep proactively diabetes and heart problems on a bay? Is 30 min. jogging daily good or just walking? Shall consumptino of sweets cause sugar and heart problems? Thank You Sunil Kumar

Dr. Radhika Kumar
Endocrinologist 9 yrs exp Bangalore
hi Sunil Based on your HBA1C, you dont have diabetes now, but you are at risk of developing diabetes because of the family history. i would suggest keeping a healthy life style by exercising (doing regular walking, jogging, yoga, etc for at least an hour daily) , sensible eating habits (right type of food, right quantity at right time) and good 7-8 hours of sleep. The other risk factors for heart disease apart from diabetes is hypertension and smoking. If you are not a smoker, well and good, and for hypertension, same advice as above.