diabetes-icon

Measures to prevent sugar

Sir, My father has diabetes. I had a hemoglobin A1c test 2 months ago and score was 5.5. How can I keep proactively diabetes and heart problems on a bay? Is 30 min. jogging daily good or just walking? Shall consumptino of sweets cause sugar and heart problems? Thank You Sunil Kumar

Doctor Answers (1) on Measures to prevent sugar

Dr. Radhika Kumar Bangalore | Endocrinologist
hi Sunil Based on your HBA1C, you dont have diabetes now, but you are at risk of developing diabetes because of the family history. i would suggest keeping a healthy life style by exercising (doing regular walking, jogging, yoga, etc for at least an hour daily) , sensible eating habits (right type of food, right quantity at right time) and good 7-8 hours of sleep. The other risk factors for heart disease apart from diabetes is hypertension and smoking. If you are not a smoker, well and good, and for hypertension, same advice as above.