Managing an introvert kid
Doctor Answers (3) on Managing an introvert kid
Please do not conclude and Label your own kid , just because some people are saying something.
He is just 3 yrs only. And being silent and not jovial is not a crime.
If we look at the way a child develops, there are few pointers which might help you to help him cope better with worldly expectations.
1. Possessiveness : It is the sign of intense attachment with the object combined with insecurity about loosing the same. As you both are working parents and happen to have an intense attachment with him, he wants to hold on to you as much as possible. He seems to be replicating same pattern with things in the daycare & also shows on YouTube. His anxiety or insecurity about loosing something dear to him has to be reduced hear by making him express his anxiety.
2 : Expression of anxiety : Observe his reaction when he looses anything & everything he is possessive about and eventually start asking him how exactly he feels at that point. Slowly make him understand that loss is temporary & he shall receive everything he needs by working for it & waiting. It is important to establish a channel of communication where he is comfortable expressing his anxiety.
3. Expand the preferred involvements: Observe him closely during interactions and find out what makes him like another person or a thing. Go in his way and ensure that he meets many people whom he finds likable. He needs people around him whom he may like not just in the professional environment of play homes but also in the carefree environment of home.
4. Mingle more with kids & grownups yourself while with him. He shall eventually follow. Kids tend to imitate & model those people they like & respect. They would say what you say however do what you do.
5. If there is a sibling in the equation..?? Things will automatically change..
5. Finally, please remember that he is expressing his nature, being facilitated by you. Preference for the depth is his strength, focus on broadening the array of preferences so that he has a wonderful life.
Take Care & Kudos to you for raising such a beautiful little guy..!!!