chest-icon

Lung functng % to survive

I want to know how much percentage of undamaged or functioning lung can help a person to live his further life . My granny's chest X-ray shows her lungs are damaged approximately 85% as doctor says. So can she be able to live her further life worry free with proper medications and without need of supplement oxygen...? Plz answer bcoz she is ICU now and her SpO2 level is 85-90 with supplement oxygen. One day before she had bipaps for 20hrs ...

Dr. Pankaj K Bang
Pulmonologist 8 yrs exp Delhi

There are many other factors besides the percentage of lungs working. Will need to examine her and see to all her reports to comment

Hello.......you should mention patients age... You haven't mentioned cause for lung damage.. Recovery of lung damage in old age is not possible.. There is 85 % destruction.. If both lungs are damaged to this extent, prognosis is very poor. One cannot guarantee anything in this situation. Just have to wait and see.