Knee Crackiling

Whenever I Sit there is a popping sound made by me knees... but it is painless.. I only happens when I sit by bending my knees... its been for several years... is this a matter of concern? As it is painless and I have no issue related to it that is no issue in walking, standing, bending my knees, doing yoga, so I am only worried about that popping sound or you can say a crackling noise which is being produce... is it normal or a matter of concern.

Doctor Answers (1) on Knee Crackiling

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there i understand your concern...A joint capsule surrounds all synovial joints and is a “closed” system filled with fluid, so any deformation would cause a change in pressure. Natural pockets of gas within the joint form a bubble and quickly collapses, causing the sound....if you don't have associated pain,swelling etc nothing much to worry....consult orthopedic surgeon if you have associated symptoms they will do the needful.