Irregular period

My periods were irregular for a very long time, i have consulted many doctors and finally consulted a doctor in Apollo and she said one of my hormone is not secreting properly and due to that i am getting irregular periods. Irregular in the sense i wont get periods for many month like more than 5 months and one day i will get period and the bleeding wont stop even after one and half months then i would consult doc and have medicine then only it will stop. This was the problem. The Apollo doctor prescribed a medicine Familone. I am taking the medicine for more than 7 yrs now. I take the medicine for 21days and stop. I will get periods on the 7th day from stoping the medicine. Then again i will start taking the medicine from 5th day from the day i got periods. Now my question is, is it good taking a medicine for this long yrs? I dont see any visible side effects but everyone is saying that taking a medicine for prolonged time is not at all good for health.

Doctor Answers (1) on Irregular period

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi..., In a normal menstrual cycle, a balance between the hormones estrogen and progesterone regulates the buildup of the lining of the uterus (endometrium), which is shed during menstruation. If a hormone imbalance occurs, mentrual irregularities occurs.. Periods can be delayed for a single cycle or it can be delayed in every cycle. If the delay is in only a single cycle, the most likely cause is a temporary cause like stress. If the periods are delayed but regular in every cycle, then the chances are that the woman has a naturally long menstrual cycle and that this delay in her periods is normal for her