Irregular mensus

I got my mensus 2 months back. It is very rare coming on time. Sometimes it has a gap of 5 months. I got checked by a gynecologist. Sonography was also clear. She asked me to take contraceptive pills for regular mensus. But my family doctor asked me to stop it as those are used after sex. Please suggest what to do

Hello there...., In a normal menstrual cycle, a balance between the hormones estrogen and progesterone regulates the buildup of the lining of the uterus (endometrium), which is shed during menstruation. If a hormone imbalance occurs, mentrual irregularities occurs.. Periods can be delayed for a single cycle or it can be delayed in every cycle. If the delay is in only a single cycle, the most likely cause is a temporary cause like stress. If the periods are delayed but regular in every cycle, then the chances are that the woman has a naturally long menstrual cycle and that this delay in her periods is normal for her