Iron overload
Hi sir, I'm just going over details about iron tablets. I heard it might cause side effects to liver or brain. So what amount of elemental iron is good. I see some articles stating 10-20mg/kg is fine. Beyond that is toxic and beyond 50 is acute toxic maybe fatal . But in some other articles it says iron isn't toxic. Once my friend consumed 30tabs of Herfem tab(40mg/kg) but had vomiting included with some of melted tabs. Nothing happened to him. Is that he had lot of resistance or is that a myth that iron tabs are toxic. Could you please explain

Hi... Iron is found naturally in certain foods, but in conditions where people do not get enough iron from their normal diet for their body's needs, an iron supplement may be useful.... ,some of the adverse effects of iron supplement are, abdominal pain , constipation or diarrhoea, heartburn, feeling sick, black stools... darkened or green stools.. loss of appetite; nausea...stomach cramps, pain, or upset; vomiting. These side effects should settle down over time....