Icthyosis- Dry skin

I have very dry n scaly skin, that peels off evryday. To make it look normal I am using Moisturex from long time.However, I would like to know about any new and effective medicine that can stay for the whole day without sticking to the clothes.

Doctor Answers (1) on Icthyosis- Dry skin

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Topical cyclosporine A 2% given 3 times daily has been shown to be beneficial in the treatment of deep stromal keratitis associated with KID syndrome.To prevent cicatricial ectropion in lamellar ichthyosis, a humidified atmosphere combined with the use of topical moisturizing agents is beneficial. Petrolatum ointment and 10% urea cream applied to the eyelid skin several times daily helps to prevent skin contracture. Salicylic acid 2% and retinoic acid 0.1% ointments also are effective, but local irritation may limit their frequency of use. In the hyperproliferative variants of ichthyosis, calcipotriene ointment has been shown to be beneficial. However, the use of calcipotriene in treating congenital hyperproliferative disorders is limited by the theoretical risk of hypercalcemia from absorption of the drug from the skin.Pimecrolimus cream 1% has been shown to be effective in patients with Netherton syndrome. The immunomodulating effects are similar to tacrolimus but without evidence of lipophilic adverse effects.

Surgical Care

See the list below:

When cicatricial ectropion develops in patients with lamellar ichthyosis despite room humidification and vigorous skin lubrication, the danger of corneal breakdown and perforation is noted. Full-thickness skin grafts from the forearm, postauricular, and groin areas may be used to successfully repair the abnormalities. In addition,a human skin equivalent, may facilitate the repair of cicatricial ectropion in severe cases when autologous donor graft tissue is not available. A concomitant medial and/or lateral lid tarsorrhaphy is recommended in severe cases. The incidence of ectropion recurrence may be decreased if surgery can be postponed until suitable nonscaly patches of skin can be clearly identified to serve as graft donor sites.

For a persistent corneal epithelial defect, an amniotic membrane transplantation may be necessary to promote epithelial wound healing.

For diffuse limbal stem cell deficiency, keratolimbal allografting with chronic systemic immunosuppression may be necessary, although the success rate has been poor.

hope above information will help you...consult dermatologist they will guide you further