I have pinonidal sinus

I  hve pinonidal sinus.My doctor cleaned the puss and gave me antibiotics. The pain was relieved. But the puss in the region was reformed again. I don't have any pain now.My doctor is asking me to go for surgery. Can the surgery be delayed or it has to be done immediately? How many days rest will I need after surgery?

Doctor Answers (1) on I have pinonidal sinus

Dr. Anamay K. Bidwai Chennai | General Surgeon
Dear Freind,
As your doctor has suggested surgery is the only option for pilonidal sinus. Course of antibiotics and cleaning the pus etc may give temporary relief but surgery is the long term solution.
Even after surgery there is a 5% chance of it coming back but we must look at positive side that is 95% are getting cured.
With modern invetigations like MR Sinogram, the chances of it coming back after surgery are less than before.
After surgery, depending upon the depth and size of  the sinus, the after surgery period can be predicted. But usually it takes about 3-4 weeks for the wound to heal completely, but you will be able to move around and even go to school/work after about 4-5 days of surgery. You will need dressing 2-3 times a  week. Surgery is done under general anaesthesia.
Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any more queries about this.