Husband has genitalherpes

My husband contracted genital herpes in 2001. We've been married for two years. We refrain from having sex during his outbreak but I was wondering if the viral shedding takes place even if the outbreak isn't present? And what are the other precautions that I can take? If I want to have a child, what are the chances of the child contracting herpes?
views-icons 22 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (2) on Husband has genitalherpes

Dr. Astha Jain Mathur Indore | Gynecologist
Dear Practo User,
*Continue abstinence during active phase,
*Yes you can contract the disease even during his remission phase
* You can get your Herpes HSV 1&2  IgG and IgM done to check whether you have infection or not prior to pregnancy
* Visit a Gynaecologist for prepregnancy counselling
* Pregnancy can be planned normally
* Transmission chances to new born increase if u contract infection in pregnancy , more so if it is near your delivery time, otherwise it is very less.
Venkat Raghav Bangalore | General Physician
Hello.... Recurrence is common in herpes,, medicine therapy is not a cure, but it can make living with the condition easier.Repeated outbreak is expected. He should use condom while having sex.. Herpes is one of TORCH infection in pregnancy which causes lot of damage. So you must be very careful. Doctor might have put him on suppressive therapy.