Hurts while gulping

Esophagus hurts while gulping, it happens with liquid gulping. It was mild and negligible since a year but seems more frequent not mostly with cold liquid

Dr. Gladson Guddappa Uchil
ENT/ Otolaryngologist 20 yrs exp Bangalore

use this app to fix up an appointment to meet an ENT Specialist in your city who will examine you & manage your illness.
Hello. I think you should know that esophagus is a muscular tube which is supplied by blood vessels and nerves to keep it active. Most of the time people with gastritis, peptic ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux disease, infections, allergies to food etc can cause heart burn. Generally this things usually happens due to untimely eating habits and depending on junk foods, oily and spicy foods. So I advise you to first rectify that and have a balanced diet.Also drinking coffee amd tea frequently while working also aggravates this condition. And you should know that alcohol and smoking also known to cause gastritis. So the main thing I suggest is to stop all this. The most important thing is to follow a healthy diet which should include green leafy vegetables, fruits and berries which are rich in fibre.take fresh fruits instead of taking it in juice form, since the waste formed while making juice consist of fibres which will be beneficial for the gut, so prefer fresh raw fruits. Take lassi,yoghurt,buttermilk, ragi gunji instead of coffee and tea. Avoid smoked meat products. Avoid outside food, prefer only home cooked meal.drink plenty of water. And never skip a meal. Do daily morning brisk walking, yoga and meditation. You should also know that certain nerve disorder can cause abnormality in the muscle tissue present in the esophagus, causing the food particles to get stuck in the middle of the muscular tube. Abnormality in the basic structure of esophagus. Obstruction due to compression by certain organs or bone surrounding the oesophagus. So kindly consult a gastroenterologist for further management.