diabetes-icon

Hemithyrodectomi.

Hi i am 26year old and after having right lobe of hemithyrodectomy doctors are recomending second surgery of left thyroid also. I mean whole thyrodectomy. As my operation was done on 12th may. Now i hav normal tft and also in usg its post inflamation.but the tumor that was operated shows encapsulated pappilary like features. So now is it necessary to go for total thyroid removal. As i am geting married in end of this year. What effect it will cause? N doc told me we will do surgery after 3months in oct.to check weather nodes form or not. But if surgery would be done so late so on oct can i go for my marriage in dec. What complication i would suffer in future? Kindly suggest. M so confused regarding this.

Dr. Nikhil Prabhu
Diabetologist 7 yrs exp Mumbai

Yes IMO there wont be any problem if marriage is in Dec. After total thyroidectomy you will be hypothyroid for lifelong and need to take thyroxine tabletes daily. Thyroid hormone is essential for brain development of child after you conceive. So when you are planning for conception consult any diabetologist or endocrinologist for optimum thyroid control. TSH should be below 2.5 before conception and throughout pregnancy
Dr. Rakesh Arora
Neuroendocrinologist 4 yrs exp Amritsar
Whether you need surgery or not, can only be told by the reports of FNAC, histopathology, preoperative USG characteristics and other clinical parameters that determine your risk of recurrence. Regarding complications, you may have to take thyroid hormone replacement lifelong. Other complications that may occur with surgery include parathyroid removal or damage, damage to laryngeal nerves etc. You can get married but if you get post op radioiodine therapy for you thyroid cancer, you should not get pregnant for atleast 6 months.