Hello Doctor

My son aarush is 1yr 9 months old. We observed a slight curve in his legs so consulted a orthopedic. He took X-ray and confirmed us that nothing to worry and this is usual in some kids till age of 5yrs. But still I want a second opinion. Pls suggest.

Doctor Answers (2) on Hello Doctor

Dr. Biswajit Dutta Baruah Chennai | Orthopedic Surgeon
Thanks for asking me to respond.

Normally children do have bowed knees initially that slowly corrects over time as they keep walking. You could do two ribs at this moment.

Observe as he grows, make measurements of necessary. If the curve is increasing then it needs intervention. Second, get his calcium and vit d levels checked to make sure they are not low. Also expose him to enough sunlight in the morning time so that he gets sufficient Vit D.

Good luck.

Thanks for writing in,

I think the curve which you are describing should be either bow legs or knock knees. Without seeing a patient, it's not advisable to give opinions. Anyway if it is knock knees or bow legs, till 5yrs nothing has to be done, as most of the time, as the cold grows they will get corrected. Just give your kid adequate calcium and zinc rich diets with more of diary products.