Hearing loss.
As a result of Bone TB at the bottom of spine almost 2 years back,I was given streptomycin injections.About 3 months back,hearing got impaired with 56 decibles left ear and 65 decibles right ear. I am wearing phonak brand aids with 12 channels,RIC type with single domes as advised by audiologist.But, I hear my own voice louder thru the ears.Also when others speak their voice sound is heard with a booming effect,with the result that,the words get partially obsorbed by the accompanied booming effect.Audiologist says the booming effect and louder hearing my voice will subside over a period of time as I am relatively new to the hearing aids.Impedence test shows a perfect middle ear.My problem is 1) How to suppress my own louder voice sound 2) How the booming effect can be contained appreciably so that I am able to pick up words of speech of others. Is the booming effect because of remaining cochlear hair cells overworking against damaged hair cells? Pl advise.

Dr. Pinaki Mazumder
Otologist/ Neurotologist 31 yrs exp Kolkata

Please ask your audiologist to program your hearing aids digitally according to the hearing losses in respective ears.After programming your hearing aids properly, hopefully your discomforts will go away. If there is any residual discomfort your ears will gradually adapt to it.