Headache when diet

Sir my sister is on dieting. before diet my sister was good health bt when start diet their are causing headache and pain on the leg joints. What to do....

Doctor Answers (1) on Headache when diet

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Losing weight can be such a pain in the...head. According to a National Headache Foundation study, diet-related issues play a role in a whopping 30 percent of all migraines (and can affect less severe types of headaches too). From bouts of low blood sugar to caffeine withdrawal, the many subtle diet tweaks we make while trying to slim down can bring on a throbbin' noggin. Here's why dieting makes your head ache, and how to ease the

Things that are put in foods for taste, color, or to keep them fresh can sometimes trigger headaches.

Monosodium glutamate, or MSG, is a common cause of migraines. MSG is added to some foods -- probably best known in Chinese restaurants -- to make them taste better. MSG headaches may have one or more of the following:

Pulsing painPain on both sides of your headFlushing in your faceDizzinessBurning in your chest, neck, or shouldersStomach painGets worse when you're active

Nitrates and nitrites, which are found in processed meats like bacon, hot dogs, and lunch meat, might give you a migraine. They're used to keep the meats fresh. If you're sensitive to them, they can expand the blood vessels in your brain, triggering headache pain. If you know they bother you, look for nitrate- and nitrite-free foods.
try to find causative food and adjust your diet accordingly...consult dietitian for further details