HBS Ag - reactive
She is pregnant and we went to hospital for normal checkup and after check blood test in the report its show (HBS Ag - Reactive). Please suggest me what to do...I am totally upset on this.

Dr. Ravindra Chhajed
Diabetologist 21 yrs exp Pune
HBsAg reactive may be carrier or infected. You can go for quantitative and qualitative test. Definitive treatment is available. It is not a life threatening infection but appropriate care is to be taken. Every time whenever you get medical or paramedics help tell them about HBsAg positive so that they can take appropriate care of patient and oneself. Other family members can consider for vaccination.
Dr. Manaswini Mullapudi
Hi, An HBSAg positive tests means that she has been infected by the Hepatitis B virus in the past or recently. Further tests in the panel need to be done to see if the infection is recent or a long standing one. A positive test does NOT necessarily mean that she will manifest the disease. Now, since she is pregnant, I would recommend you to consult an obstetrician itself, as they would be equipped to handle such a case. In obstetrics, her case would be what we called a "high risk" case, as there is a risk of the infection spreading to the baby. But not worry, because it is absolutely preventable. Do consult an OBG doctor. And take regular check ups and follow ups with her/him. Take care.
Dr. Sagar Rashinkar
Please consult md medicine physician.