Hi, I am 28/m unmarried, suffering from excessive hair loss resulting in male pattern baldness, maybe due to hereditary. I have used minoxidil and alpecin on dermatologists' prescription. It did show some results in the beginning but now Hair loss is reoccurring where the scalp is visible due to thinning of hair . I would like to know from the forum here if there is any other alternative medicines or applicants. I would like to know more about the advantages and disadvantages of Direct Hair Implants. Is it recommended..? How much would it cost. Appreciate your honest opinions. Thanks in advance.
287 Views v

Answers (1)

Like the answers? Chat privately with the doctor of your choice

Minoxidil is the mainstay of treatment for Androgenetic alopecia. Other treatment and medicines available are not as effective as minoxidil and cannot be vouched for. Since male pattern baldness is a progressive condition which will worsen as you age, so also, the treatment needs to be continued as long as you desire hair growth. Growth occurs with minoxidil for upto 1year of usage and then it can be used in a lesser frequent dose to maintain the growth. Other options available are low energy led light therapy, PRP etc. Medicines alternate to minoxidil are capyxil and hair peptides. There is not sufficient evidence to show that they are as effective as minoxidil but can be tried. Also the hair growth with alternate medicines may not be as fast as that with minoxidil. Hair transplant is a good option but in an area with tens of thousands of hair, hairloss will continue to occur and only a few thousand hair can be transplanted. The rest of the hair needs to be maintained using minoxidil. I would suggest you restart minoxidil and add on other procedures to get extra hair growth to the possible extent. Warm regards. Dr. Rajdeep Mysore. Chirag Hospital Bangalore
Flag this Answer
Flag this answer
2/2 people found this helpful
Was this answer helpful?
Disclaimer : The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.