Green tea & its benefits.

Hello doctor, I'm obese. I need to lose 22 kilograms. Doctors are recommending green tea for weight loss. Some other doctors advocates green tea doesn't support weight loss. However I have decided to experiment with green tea because it contains various other proven benefits. So nothing to lose. My question is about the consumption amount. How much green tea should I consume everyday? When is the right time to take green tea? Help me. Thank you.

Doctor Answers (1) on Green tea & its benefits.

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Consuming only green tea will not help you much...you should add other dietary restrictions and exercise to that....Green tea or green tea extracts containing 150 to 2500 mg catechins, taken in single or 2 divided doses daily for up to 24 weeks, has been used to reduce weight....Weight gain happens either due to addition of extra calories or due to failure to spend calories consumed...these extra calories deposited in our body as fat..for weight reduction you have to consume less calories and spend more...avoid junk foods,carbohydrates like rice etc,avoid oily foods...add proteins and fibre rich foods to your diet with green leafy vegetables, fruits...do regular exercise at least 2 hours a day...Consult dietitian they will do the needful.