Fracture metacarpal bone

Hi, I have fractured my 3rd metacarpal bone. I have consulted doctors but I'm not satisfied. A doctor said that as it is a diagonal break, I have two options: 1. Leave it be with a plaster, bones will join, but with deformity, as the size of that bone will reduce because of diagonal breakage 2. Go with k wire / pins treatment for exact same bone placement. Result : for the first one, hand strength will return to normal but it will differ in appearance. For the second one, everything will be normal. Is the analysis correct? Should I consult different doctors? Is k wire necessary? Thanks in advance Ankit

Doctor Answers (1) on Fracture metacarpal bone

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi...., Initial management of undisplaced metacarpal fracture is rest, immobilization by splinting....followed by hard circumferential cast for few weeks....K wire fixation is done in displaced metacarpal fractures.... Surgical stabilization is necessary for metacarpal fractures where there is too much bending (angulation) or displacement at the fracture site. .... Metacarpal fractures usually take few months to heal, repeated xrays of hand is needed to know the prognosis.... kindly consult orthopedician for further advice....