Folic acid dose in pregna
Hi I am 5 weeks pregnant for the first time, today on my first visit to doctor I was prescribed 5mg folic acid per day. Goggled it 5mg is very high dose (400 - 600 micrograms is considered normal). I do not have family history of neural tube defects Is there a valid reason for this high dose.

Hey, 5mg folic acid is only prescribed in established folate deficiency in pregnancy otherwise 600mcg folic acid is prescribed normally,  you need to undergo biochemical test ,blood examination to know level of folic acid , if yours is  normal pregnancy take secondary opinion before taking those tab