Fishy scaly skin

I have fishy or snaky skin for my legs and hands from my birth . remaining are fine(face,neck). please help.

Doctor Answers (1) on Fishy scaly skin

Dr. Rajdeep Bangalore | Dermatologist
You are probably suffering from icthyosis. These are a group of genetic disorders. There are some defective proteins formed in the skin which leads to this condition. There are a group of medicines called retinoids that can be given for short intervals to improve your skin. You will need to take a lot of skin care like moisturising and keratolytic agents. You will need to use special products made for disorders like this which contains the proteins that your skin is not able to produce. I will be able to help you if you can fix an appointment and meet me. The severity of your condition can be decreased by about 50%. Since it is a genetic problem there is a risk of transferring it to your children. So you will need genetic counseling as well. It is not life threatening in your case so don't worry. Take care. Warm regards. Dr. Rajdeep Mysore. Chirag Hospital Bangalore