Do I have diabetes

Hello doctor i am on medicines met xl and nexito prescribed by a cardiologist six months back, see dear doctor I have some issue which maybe that doctor is ignoring what do u suggest severe body pain always and frequent urination and body pain(fasting glucose test was on border) and memory problems forgetting names and for example when I hear a name of place or anything which I know very well and went many times in past but again I wonder and try hard to recollect where it comes(though I went n number of times) I smoke as well feel like suffocation or shortness of breath...please cordinate them all and let me know the exact cause of it and whome shall I need to consult,i mean which specialist can deal all of them ? Thanks in advance

Doctor Answers (1) on Do I have diabetes

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello. Sir I understand your problem, I think you should know that a person suffering from diabetes have problem with insulin production or insulin receptors on the cells leading to imbalance in glucose levels in the body. This leads to easy tiredness, muscle aches, breathlessness on doing strenuous work, irritability, it can affect various organs of the body like kidney leading to frequent urinating, glucose in urine or affect eye leading to diminishing of vision or GIT leading to loss of weight etc. So based on the history you have given you have typical symptoms of diabetes and as far as the forgetfullness is concerned it might be due to stress of having this condition along with the glucose imbalance seen in diabetes which can also cause disorientation and confused state sometimes if the sugar level is not controlled. So I kindly advise you to monitor your blood glucosr level and follow a regular drug schedule. Coming to the breathlessness- as you only mentioned that, you are a smoker. Smoking reduces the general capacity of lungs on chronic use, which coupled with your diabetes can aggravate breathlessness. So my advise is to stop smoking. Consult a diabetologist for further management of your condition.