cancer-icon

Discomfort in throat

I know that cancer is an extreme case, but this has been disturbing me. I caught a cold almost a week ago, which first started with discomfort in throat. Then the theist wasn't a problem, normal cold and cough, due to season change and probably the smog in Delhi. But this morning my throats started aching and has been aching till now. I smoke very rarely, once or twice in a couple of months. What are the chances that this could be cancer? When should I decide to go for a diagnosis. What else should I look out for?

Doctor Answers (1) on Discomfort in throat

Dr. Aravind S Kapali Bangalore | Surgical Oncologist
Smoking is a well known fact which causes cancer but your age being 19 yr I assume you would not have done so for more than 3 yrs. And the frequency is less. Non smoking related cancer can happen and is related to HPV infection. Chronic cough prolonging for more than 15 days is an indication for evaluation.
You should see a ENT surgeon or Onco surgeon.