CYTOMEGALO VIRUS

I am pregnant for 26 weeks. Recently my doctor has asked my for a blood test named TORCH. I tested and it showed that I have Cytomegalo virus type 1 positive, and the range is 2.4. Other tests contains negative result and even Cytomegalo virus type 2 is also negative. Now I want to know, can it affect my baby? If yes, then what can I do now?

Dr. Aditi Kishore Shinde
Gynecologist 9 yrs exp Kolkata
Dear Ma'am, Thank you for your query regarding TORCH titre.  It is essential to know which type of antibody has come positive on testing. If it is the IgG antibody it suggests a natural immunity to an old infection,  no medication or treatment is necessary. If the IgM antibody is positive,  it suggests a recent infection.  In that scenario the presence of virus in your blood and amniotic fluid will be tested for followed by treatment with anti-viral medication to reduce the chances of fetal transfer. It would be good to review the previous Congenital anomaly scan to discern fetal affection. There also might be a possibility of referral to feto-maternal medicine specialist if IgM titres are significant for assessment. Regards, Aditi