chest-icon

Coughing for past 2 month

I have been coughing from past two months and got the tests done for mountox and chest x ray both of them are absolutely fine showing no issues either on lungs and mountox test is negative however the cough does not stops and I am getting sputum along with the coughs I am a very heavy smoker do atleast 6 cigarattes per day. please suggest me what to do next.

Doctor Answers (1) on Coughing for past 2 month

Dr. Harsha Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there....we understand your concern. However firstly, you have to completely stop smoking and even drinking altogether. Else this problem will never go away. It will recurrent whenever you start smoking again. Also since your getting sputum, was it sent for sputum culture and sensitivity? Sometimes the colour, consistency, smell, quantity of sputum itself can indicate what type of disease you could be suffering from. Also does it increase on exposure to dust or pollens, as allergies are also very common. So kindly consult a pulmonologist for further evaluation.