Chicken pox vaccination

Hi Doctor, I just wanted to know if it is okay for me to take chickenpox vaccination at this age, I also think I might be already infected since I was in contact with an infected person. Will it be of any use taking the vaccination in such a condition? Thanks!

Doctor Answers (1) on Chicken pox vaccination

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there I understand your concern...if you had chicken pox in your childhood yo will not get it as you will be having antibodies in your body....Vaccination is the best way to protect yourself against chickenpox. Nearly 100 percent of adults will develop protective antibodies against the chickenpox virus after two vaccine doses. Immunity from the vaccine is long-lasting and probably permanent in most people. People who were vaccinated against chickenpox may sometimes develop the disease but it is usually mild, with about 50 or fewer red bumps that rarely grow into blisters...so it depends upon weather you had chicken pox in past or not if you had you can waite if not go for vaccination... Good luck.