Can I take rifampin

I, a year ago, had some occasional pimple like formations. It was diagnosed to be furunculosis and was given R-cin 200 and Cledomox 625. After 2 days on medication I had vomiting and was not feeling well with R-cin. Iam positive for Hepatitis B (inactive). My LFTs are normal. On browsing net, I found that rifampin causes liver problems. Then I stopped taking it. Over the last year, I had such furuncles about four times. Now, my question is whether I can take R-cin being Hep-B positive. How furunculosis can be treated?
views-icons 185 Views 1 Share Mail QnA Whatsapp QnA v

Dr. Rasya Dixit
Hi! Furuncle is an infection if the hair follicle which is treated with antibiotics primarily. Rifampicin is only given as a second or third line treatment for furuncles when it does not respond to antibiotics or is recurrently. Rifampicin is hepatotoxic and should not be taken regularly. Please meet a dermatologist so they can give you alternate medicines. If needed they may also do a test known as pus culture and sensitivity.