Breastfeeding strike

Hi, my one month old baby boy is not drinking mother's milk directly. But he is taking via bottle which is filled using breast feed pump... my wife tried many ways but not successful. Please Suggest ..
views-icons 46 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on Breastfeeding strike

Dr. P.Bhagavan Vijayawada | Pediatrician
From the beginning it is better to give breast milk if you start bottle feeds initially and later want to shift to breast milk baby will be having NIPPLE CONFUSSION . The mechanism of bottle feeding and breast feeding is completely different a baby can suck a bottle very easily with out much effort .To get milk from breast baby have to make a coordinated motion of tongue jaw cheeks lips and suck the breast. At present you can still try to feed the baby. Always keep the baby near to breast keep in skin to skin contact . Be sure baby is in correct straight position to take feed. Try to give feeds when baby is in a mood to suck . Baby should open mouth widely you can give a gesture to open mouth even month babies follow the gestures. If baby don't show effort to suck milk won't come you can use a breast pump or manual methods to express before latching initially to help the baby before you keep the baby to suck . You can use a dropper or syringe to give drops of milk while baby is latching this will encourage baby to suck. Better if you consult a pediatrician or gynecologist or trained nurse to role out any problems related to breast like retracted nipple