Bitten by something
My mom was bitten by something in the train, there was few drops of blood and around 1 inch radius there is superficial scratch, the skin has been peeled. We don't know how it happened, it may be a rat as we suspect. She had a TT injection and on mild anti-biotics, is there anything we should be worried about? It's been 15 hours and she is doing fine except mild pain at the site. If it is rat, should we be concerned about the rat-bite fever? If it was not rat, what else we should to protect any other deceases / danger? Please help.

Dr. Harsha
Hi there...I can understand your concern. The incidence of rat bite fever is very rare. Don't get too apprehensive. It would have been better if the culprit for the wound was known. Because sometimes even slightly trauma could have caused the lesion you are describing. It is good that she has taken TT vaccine. Also she antibiotics will take care any added secondary bacterial infection. maintain good hygiene of the wound. Pain can be there for few days because of the wound. If she starts developing any symptoms like fever, myalgia, red rashes especially over hand and feet, then immediately consult a general physician for further evaluation.

Bitten nails before and after