Birth Control

I would like to start with regular birth control pills. Could you tell me about the pros and cons of the same and if it is over the counter?

Doctor Answers (1) on Birth Control

Dr. Shashikala Hande Bangalore | Gynecologist/Obstetrician
I need to know your age, weight, habits like smoking, medical history, history of migraines, family history of any cancers, heart problems, blood related disorders before starting on the pill to make sure it is safe for you. Some of the advantages of birth control pills are: 1. Reducing the amount of flow during your periods 2. Painless periods 3. Regularization of your cycles 4. Prevention of cancer of the uterus and ovary and many more. Cons of the pills are: 1. Increase in vaginal discharge (not due to any infections) 2. It will not protect you against Sexually Transmitted diseases 3. Breast cancer/stroke (it depends on your personal medical history and family history) 4. Worsening of migraines/headaches 5. Weight gain 6. Mood changes for some people.